Happy Thursday! Are you taking time to check-in with yourself and give yourself the care, love, and attention you need? If not, it’s perfectly okay to set aside time for yourself to do whatever you want/need to do during ‘me time.’ Maybe your thing is yoga, meditation, running, paddle boarding, reading, tending to a pallet garden you built, sewing some pillowcases for your home decor, making a dress to match your homemade mask, paddle boarding, or even playing animal crossing with family and friends, but whatever you want to do during your assigned ‘me time,’ make sure you’re doing it and giving yourself a break.
If you didn’t get a chance to read yesterday’s post - “a dance lesson in Dublin” - you can click here to read about an interesting experience I had with one of my classmates from The Lir Academy. Otherwise, let’s continue our travel adventures, taking a break from the girls’ road trip, and head back to Northern Ireland for The Open!
When I lived in Dublin, I was excited to learn that The 148th Open Championship was going to be held at Royal Portrush Golf Club in Portrush, Northern Ireland. I splurged and bought myself a ticket for Sunday’s final round, eagerly awaited my pass in the post, and planned my day trip. Getting to The Open was quite a process. Because I needed to take a bus to Belfast in order to take the earliest train to Portush, my morning started at 2 AM. I woke up, showered, had a quick breakfast, and walked my way over to the bus stop that I usually took to get to Dublin airport and waited patiently for the 3 AM Aircoach. When it came, I was one of only a handful of people on it. We rode quietly to Dublin Airport where I transferred onto a different bus in order to get to Belfast. Having taken many buses to Belfast at this point in my time living in Ireland, I picked a seat and passed out for the duration. When I woke up, I was pleased to know I was very close to the necessary train station. I walked over with about 45 minutes to spare before the 6 AM train’s departure and could see it waiting to load its passengers. When I got to the train terminal, it was packed. Most people had pre-purchased their tickets, but I hadn’t, so a small inkling of panic set in. I waited patiently to see what the ticketers would say, and since they’d noticed I’d been there 45 minutes early, I received priority for the non-ticketed. I luckily made it onto the train, found myself a comfy seat, and started the ~2 hour train ride to Portrush. I napped for the majority of the 2 hours, knowing that I’d have a long day ahead and that I’d get to see the countryside through the window on the train ride home.
And to read about the amazing time I had drenched in the pouring rain at The Open, tune in for tomorrow’s post! Subscribe in the e-mail submission box below and reach out, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and reach out to me on the “contact” page. I’m so happy you're here and that I’ve been receiving a lot of really incredible stories, questions, and feedback from a community all over the globe! Other people’s stories that I’ve gotten to read via e-mail, text, tweet, DM, etc. recently bring me such smiles, and I am so grateful for all of it! I hope I get to hear all about whatever stories you’ve been thinking about as we’ve been on this virtual journey together! Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have any restaurants/eateries/pubs/coffee shops/ice cream joints/theatres/lookout spots you would recommend in other countries or even in your current home town or city, I'm absolutely 100% all ears!! I couldn’t do this without you! So THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart, truly, thank you.
And please, if you have 10 seconds to spare, I would really appreciate your daily vote for me to be the next Maxim Cover Girl 2020. Click here to vote! Voting for the Semi-Finals ends TONIGHT Thursday July 30th at 11 PM EST! The race is close, and I need to finish first in order to advance to the finals, so I would really appreciate your help and support as I continue to try and become the next #MaximCoverGirl by moving ahead into round 8/the Finals round of the competition! Thank you for all your support! I wouldn’t have made it this far without you! Click here or on the photo above to vote!
P.S. - If you want to catch up from the beginning on this series of travel adventures, here's a cheat sheet to the posts (in order in which they were published):
1. Won't you join me?
2. grateful for starbucks and sandymount strand
3. Once Upon a December in the National Gallery
4. plant a smooch for that gift of gab
5. may the 4th be with you: Dingle style
6. cinco de mayo: the best Mexican food in Dublin
7. pizza in roma
8. mussolini’s window and the philosophers’ metro stop
9. father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife
10. it's the vatican, not the vatican't
11. spoiler alert: i did not lose my hand
12. more pizza and gelato and Neptune, oh my
13. craft beer, romper season, and volcano magic
14. bus singalongs and the okey dokey karaoke origin story
15. the beginning of the journey to the land of outlander
16. the boy who lived and the musical rapper
17. oh i just can't wait to be kingggg
18. fudge and haggis, quite the dynamic duo
19. the banshee labyrinth... or, my first time trying buckfast
20. the world's most magical toilet
21. gwyneth paltrow's (improv) sliding doors
22. scottish sombreros and jam, thank you
23. bob seger, a cèilidh, and arthur's seat
24. the next maxim cover girl!!
25. you can vote now!!
26. kindness at… the airport??
27. conversations with strangers and #basic meals
28. aren't gas stations amazing?!
29. not just mac's... supermac's
30. American vs. European Cell Phone Providers
31. brown bread ice cream
32. Black Lives Matter
33. technology and theatre
34. a love of Dublin pizza: Manifesto
35. a love of Dublin pizza: Dublin Pizza Company
36. a love of Dublin pizza: with my dad
37. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness
38. thank you! round 2!
39. a love of Dublin pizza: and every other pizza
40. ahh-oooooh werewolves of london
41. a special london edition nerd alert
42. defying gravity is a WICKED good time
43. that wanker Van Morrison
44. The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre
45. LA girls love London green juice
46. Super Bowl LII Champs at Wembley
47. champagne fizz and fruity cocktails
48. How-to: DIY Pallet Garden
49. dublin tattoo magic
51. thank you! Maxim round 4!
52. dublin bog bodies
53. dún laoghaire ice cream
54. local celeb sighting
55. 13.1 in Dublin
56. thank you! Maxim round 5!
57. every girl likes a bad boy
58. poolbeg lighthouse
59. conflict, bias, and propaganda in belfast
60. bow to your lord mayor
61. HAPPY HAMILTON DAY!!
62. Maxim Cover Girl Quarter-Finals!
63. gulliver's travels in belfast
64. all aboard the HMS Caroline
65. all aboard the RMS Titanic
66. you know nothing, jon snow
67. cave-born shadow babies
68. afraid of heights?
69. giants and their egos
70. the Kingsroad
71. sunsets in Donegal
72. derry dining chains
73. Maxim Cover Girl Semi-Finals!
74. Spontaneity is Key
75. Dear Nana
75. blasket island centre
76. Nana's blue tin cookies
77. a dance lesson in Dublin