Happy Friday! The weekend is just around the corner! Are you taking time to check-in with yourself and give yourself the care, love, and attention you need? If not, it’s perfectly okay to set aside time for yourself to do whatever you want/need to do during ‘me time.’ Maybe your thing is yoga, meditation, running, paddle boarding, reading, tending to a pallet garden you built, sewing some pillowcases for your home decor, making a dress to match your homemade mask, paddle boarding, refurbishing furniture, or even playing animal crossing with family and friends, but whatever you want to do during your assigned ‘me time,’ make sure you’re doing it and giving yourself a break.
If you didn’t get a chance to read yesterday’s post - “maxim and Belfast Chinese food” - you can click here to read about craving something other than Irish food and following through on those cravings at Red Panda in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I also posted a video in yesterday’s blog about my Maxim Cover Girl journey, which might be of interest to you, as well! Otherwise, let’s buckle back in and continue our adventures!
Before we made our journey together to see Shane Lowry win The 148th Open Championship, we spent some time going through some of the highlights of a road trip I did around Ireland with some of my best college girlfriends from Villanova. I posted about our time at the Blasket Island Centre in Dingle, and there’s another awesome memory from that trip I just have to share.
As I’ve posted before, we have been known to spontaneously drive off-road to the nearest beach, and doing so in Dingle was no exception. Since we had the upgraded BMW SUV courtesy of our car rental spot in Dublin, we decided we were going to drive that puppy right out onto the sand.
From there, the three of us essentially went through some stages of grief. We denied what we were about to do, we bargained with some greater power about having tolerable and favorable conditions, and we finally assigned some roles and accepted our fates. My one friend assumed camera duties as the other two of us ran like wild women across the sandy beach and into the ocean.
It was early June in Ireland, and the water was freezing -- okay, maybe it wasn’t literally 32 degrees (or 0 degrees for my Irish friends), but boy was it chilly. I stopped when I made it in just above my knees while my other mermaid friend charged headfirst, diving into the waves in front of her. I then (with a little help from my friends *cue the Beatles* - and my wonderful delaying skills of 'look over there' and 'isn't the scenery beautiful') followed suit and plopped under, as well. As soon as I made it under the waves, I immediately popped back up. My form was not unlike that of a duck bobbing in and out of the sea or that of a jack-in-the-box springing back up in surprise. The two of us in the water enjoyed and embraced the moment and then immediately ran back to the car for some much-needed warming up (giggling all along the way).
Isn’t that what makes close friendships great - the crazy stuff you do together when no one else is around or watching? We were just a few wild women storming the beach and crashing into the Irish waves. Do you have any similar stories from your travels - or even just a crazy story shared among you and your close friends?Let me know! Subscribe in the e-mail submission box below and reach out, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and reach out to me on the “contact” page. I’m so happy you're here and that I’ve been receiving a lot of really incredible stories, questions, and feedback from a community all over the globe! Other people’s stories that I’ve gotten to read via e-mail, text, tweet, DM, etc. recently bring me such smiles, and I am so grateful for all of it! I hope I get to hear all about whatever stories you’ve been thinking about as we’ve been on this virtual journey together! Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have any restaurants/eateries/pubs/coffee shops/ice cream joints/theatres/lookout spots you would recommend in other countries or even in your current home town or city, I'm absolutely 100% all ears!! I couldn’t do this without you! So THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart, truly, thank you.
P.S. - If you want to catch up from the beginning on this series of travel adventures, here's a cheat sheet to the posts (in order in which they were published):
1. Won't you join me?
2. grateful for starbucks and sandymount strand
3. Once Upon a December in the National Gallery
4. plant a smooch for that gift of gab
5. may the 4th be with you: Dingle style
6. cinco de mayo: the best Mexican food in Dublin
7. pizza in roma
8. mussolini’s window and the philosophers’ metro stop
9. father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife
10. it's the vatican, not the vatican't
11. spoiler alert: i did not lose my hand
12. more pizza and gelato and Neptune, oh my
13. craft beer, romper season, and volcano magic
14. bus singalongs and the okey dokey karaoke origin story
15. the beginning of the journey to the land of outlander
16. the boy who lived and the musical rapper
17. oh i just can't wait to be kingggg
18. fudge and haggis, quite the dynamic duo
19. the banshee labyrinth... or, my first time trying buckfast
20. the world's most magical toilet
21. gwyneth paltrow's (improv) sliding doors
22. scottish sombreros and jam, thank you
23. bob seger, a cèilidh, and arthur's seat
24. the next maxim cover girl!!
25. you can vote now!!
26. kindness at… the airport??
27. conversations with strangers and #basic meals
28. aren't gas stations amazing?!
29. not just mac's... supermac's
30. American vs. European Cell Phone Providers
31. brown bread ice cream
32. Black Lives Matter
33. technology and theatre
34. a love of Dublin pizza: Manifesto
35. a love of Dublin pizza: Dublin Pizza Company
36. a love of Dublin pizza: with my dad
37. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness
38. thank you! round 2!
39. a love of Dublin pizza: and every other pizza
40. ahh-oooooh werewolves of london
41. a special london edition nerd alert
42. defying gravity is a WICKED good time
43. that wanker Van Morrison
44. The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre
45. LA girls love London green juice
46. Super Bowl LII Champs at Wembley
47. champagne fizz and fruity cocktails
48. How-to: DIY Pallet Garden
49. dublin tattoo magic
51. thank you! Maxim round 4!
52. dublin bog bodies
53. dún laoghaire ice cream
54. local celeb sighting
55. 13.1 in Dublin
56. thank you! Maxim round 5!
57. every girl likes a bad boy
58. poolbeg lighthouse
59. conflict, bias, and propaganda in belfast
60. bow to your lord mayor
61. HAPPY HAMILTON DAY!!
62. Maxim Cover Girl Quarter-Finals!
63. gulliver's travels in belfast
64. all aboard the HMS Caroline
65. all aboard the RMS Titanic
66. you know nothing, jon snow
67. cave-born shadow babies
68. afraid of heights?
69. giants and their egos
70. the Kingsroad
71. sunsets in Donegal
72. derry dining chains
73. Maxim Cover Girl Semi-Finals!
74. Spontaneity is Key
75. Dear Nana
75. blasket island centre
76. Nana's blue tin cookies
77. a dance lesson in Dublin
78. dublin to Royal Portrush
79. Shane Lowry's Open Championship
80. maxim and Belfast Chinese food