Happy Friday! You made it to the end of the work week! Go you, hot stuff! How have you been? Are you taking time to check-in with yourself and give yourself the care, love, and attention you need? If not, it’s perfectly okay to set aside time for yourself to do whatever you want/need to do during ‘me time.’ Maybe it’s yoga, meditation, running, reading, tending to a pallet garden you built, sewing some pillowcases for your home decor, making a dress to match your homemade mask, or even playing animal crossing with family and friends. Whatever you want to do during your assigned ‘me time,’ make sure you’re doing it and giving yourself a break.
If you didn’t get a chance to read yesterday’s post - “all aboard the RMS Titanic”— you can click here to read all about my exploration of the Titanic Experience in Belfast, as well as working with one of the movie Titanic’s stars! Also, if you didn’t get the chance to cast your free daily vote for me to be the next #MaximCoverGirl, you can click here to vote or click here to read about why it’s important to me (and then vote!). You can vote once every twenty-four hours for free, and I am so grateful for your support! Voting for the Quarter-Finals round ends July 16th, so I’d appreciate any and all support I can get to make my way to first before the 16th! Thank you for everything so far!! If you’re all caught up on the adventures thus far and Maxim Cover Girl voting, then sit tight, strap in, buckle up - whatever you choose! Let’s take a trip to another media-based exhibit: the Game of Thrones Touring Exhibition!
A lot of the experiences I’ve had and have written about during my time in Belfast have either been about the times I’ve gone by myself or the things I experienced with my dad; however, my dad was not the only one who got to experience some of the fun of Belfast with me. My best friend from high school and her fiancé visited me last summer while I was living in Dublin, but since I’ve been writing about Belfast, today’s post will be about something fun and unique I did only with them! As the three of us were all pretty big fans of Game of Thrones, we decided we’d go and see the Game of Thrones Touring Exhibition while it was in town. I am currently humming the theme song to myself, and I'm willing to bet maybe you are now, too. You're welcome. The North remembers.
So much of Game of Thrones was actually filmed Belfast. In another post, I’ll write all about the Game of Thrones location bus tour the three of us did together, but I just wanted to make sure I provided some background as to why the Touring Exhibition would stop and spend so much time in Belfast. As we entered the exhibition, we were able to see some of the stages where Game of Thrones was filmed; it was pretty cool to see something I am so familiar with in another country, having worked on countless film, television, and commercial sets in Los Angeles, New York, and Philadelphia. Walking into a sound stage and a world of make-believe felt like coming home to me; it was nice.
The exhibition featured so many amazing artifacts from the show (gallery of more photos at the bottom of the blog post). We got to see many of the actual costumes worn by the cast, as well as various swords and weapons, various decorative props, and large dragons and statues from the show! Whether or not you were a fan of the final season of Game of Thrones, a season and ending that proved divisive for many in the fandom, the show was able to grow into an international sensation and phenomenon. Many of my Irish friends, like my American friends, couldn’t wait to gather around each week to see how things would unfold in the complex world of love, conflict, political policy, loss, and war. No matter how you feel about the ending, it was truly incredible to see all that the show was able to accomplish in its run.
Do you consider yourself more of a Mother of Dragons, a Cersei Lannister, a Sansa Stark, an Arya Stark, or a Brienne of Tarth? Perhaps you're a witchy-woo like my redheaded friend Melisandre or a Wildling like my other redheaded friend Ygritte? Whoever you are, you're a frickin' badass. How did you feel about the ending of Game of Thrones? Let me know! Subscribe in the e-mail submission box below and reach out, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and reach out to me on the “contact” page. I’m so happy you're here and that I’ve been receiving a lot of really incredible stories, questions, and feedback from a community all over the globe! Other people’s stories that I’ve gotten to read via e-mail, text, tweet, DM, etc. recently bring me such smiles, and I am so grateful for all of it! I hope I get to hear all about whatever stories you’ve been thinking about as we’ve been on this virtual journey together! Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have any restaurants/eateries/pubs/coffee shops/ice cream joints/theatres/lookout spots you would recommend in other countries or even in your current home town or city, I'm absolutely 100% all ears!! I couldn’t do this without you! So THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart, truly, thank you.
And please, if you have 10 seconds to spare, I would really appreciate your daily vote for me to be the next Maxim Cover Girl 2020. Click here to vote! Voting for the Quarter-Finals is now live and continues everyday until July 16th! I’ll need to finish first in order to advance, so I would really appreciate your help and support as I continue to try and become the next #MaximCoverGirl by moving ahead into round 7/the Semi-Finals of the competition! Thank you for all your support! I wouldn’t have made it this far without you! Click here or on the photo above to vote!
P.S. - check out some more photos of the GoT exhibition!
P.P.S. - If you want to catch up from the beginning on this series of travel adventures, here's a cheat sheet to the posts (in order in which they were published):
1. Won't you join me?
2. grateful for starbucks and sandymount strand
3. Once Upon a December in the National Gallery
4. plant a smooch for that gift of gab
5. may the 4th be with you: Dingle style
6. cinco de mayo: the best Mexican food in Dublin
7. pizza in roma
8. mussolini’s window and the philosophers’ metro stop
9. father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife
10. it's the vatican, not the vatican't
11. spoiler alert: i did not lose my hand
12. more pizza and gelato and Neptune, oh my
13. craft beer, romper season, and volcano magic
14. bus singalongs and the okey dokey karaoke origin story
15. the beginning of the journey to the land of outlander
16. the boy who lived and the musical rapper
17. oh i just can't wait to be kingggg
18. fudge and haggis, quite the dynamic duo
19. the banshee labyrinth... or, my first time trying buckfast
20. the world's most magical toilet
21. gwyneth paltrow's (improv) sliding doors
22. scottish sombreros and jam, thank you
23. bob seger, a cèilidh, and arthur's seat
24. the next maxim cover girl!!
25. you can vote now!!
26. kindness at… the airport??
27. conversations with strangers and #basic meals
28. aren't gas stations amazing?!
29. not just mac's... supermac's
30. American vs. European Cell Phone Providers
31. brown bread ice cream
32. Black Lives Matter
33. technology and theatre
34. a love of Dublin pizza: Manifesto
35. a love of Dublin pizza: Dublin Pizza Company
36. a love of Dublin pizza: with my dad
37. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness
38. thank you! round 2!
39. a love of Dublin pizza: and every other pizza
40. ahh-oooooh werewolves of london
41. a special london edition nerd alert
42. defying gravity is a WICKED good time
43. that wanker Van Morrison
44. The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre
45. LA girls love London green juice
46. Super Bowl LII Champs at Wembley
47. champagne fizz and fruity cocktails
48. How-to: DIY Pallet Garden
49. dublin tattoo magic
51. thank you! Maxim round 4!
52. dublin bog bodies
53. dún laoghaire ice cream
54. local celeb sighting
55. 13.1 in Dublin
56. thank you! Maxim round 5!
57. every girl likes a bad boy
58. poolbeg lighthouse
59. conflict, bias, and propaganda in belfast
60. bow to your lord mayor
61. HAPPY HAMILTON DAY!!
62. Maxim Cover Girl Quarter-Finals!
63. gulliver's travels in belfast
64. all aboard the HMS Caroline
65. all aboard the RMS Titanic